Friday, September 19, 2008

Full Circle Friday

Sorry Full Circle Friday is a little late today! My camera battery died this morning and I had to charge it before I could get my photos uploaded. Anyway, I am back in business.

This week's sketch pushed me outside of my comfortable creative box. The first creative stretch was working with a large circle. All of the elements of the layout fit nicely inside a circle; a bit different from the squares and rectangles in which scrapbookers usually work. The second is putting the title right over the top of the focal photo. Just keep telling yourself it is okay if you cover up part of your photograph.... it is, it really is okay. In my layout you will notice the cute chubby face and hand are perfectly visible while the busy patterned shirt is the part covered up by the title. The busy pattern was distracting anyway. The main focal photo is an uncropped 5x7 photo. It may look smaller in my finished layout just because I overlapped my accent photos and embellishments over the top of the focal photo. The small photos are 2.5x3.5. Then of course there is the giant circle and then a thin strip across horizontally to add stability to the entire design.


Supplies:
Luxe Designs: Sprinkles Collection patterned paper
Bazzill Cardstock
Maya Road Butterfly Chip Coaster
Me & My Big Ideas Butterfly Rhinestone sticker
Luxe Designs journaling sticker
ThermOWeb Zots and Glue Stick
Uniball Signo white pen
American Craft Slick Writer

Supplies from my personal stash:
American Crafts Thickers alpha stickers
Making Memories brads

For the giant circle I used the super extraordinary circle template.... a kitchen dinner plate. I traced it on the paper. Then I took a second smaller plate and traced that inside the bigger circle. Cut with fine-tip scissors. I also used the fine-tip scissors to cut out the circle patterns from one of my patterned papers. I love to cut out designs from pattern paper. Sometimes you love a paper but using the entire piece is too overwhelming for the layout. The smaller circle accents are scattered around the large circle and reinforce the whole circle theme.

I covered the butterfly chipboard with patterned paper. See Sesil's Tuesday Tip from this week to get detailed instructions on covering chipboard. To give the butterfly a little "pop" I outlined it with a white pen. The butterfly houses my journaling sticker, which if left by itself would be lost in the layout. The journaling sticker needed that butterfly to bring your attention to it.

As I mentioned before, the title is big and bold right across the focal photo. I used the rhinestone butterfly mostly because I thought it was cute. But it did help balance my big, bold title. Sometimes I just need a little bling!

As always you can adapt the 12x12 to a different size layout. And please post a link to your version of the sketch after you give it a try!