Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tuesday Tip * Ribbon Flower accent*

Get out your needle,thread and a strip of ribbon. Let's get started on making a ribbon flower accent. (okay you non sewers..this is a great way to get started. It really is not that hard. If my friend Marie can do it .... you can to.)

Side note: Don't laugh at my non-manicured icky fingers. My poor little hands are constantly in water with having little kids. Between the dishes, dirty diapers and picking up this or that my hands have taken a beating.
Start off by threading your needle and tying a knot at the end of the thread. We will be starting on the top right corner of the ribbon.
Continue stitching up and down the top side of the ribbon.
I tend to use a long needle so I can keep all the ribbon together on the needle. Once I am done I pull the thread through the ribbon but still hold the ribbon cluster together.

To secure the bundle I go back to the last couple of folds and pull the thread through.
Then you end up with a scrunched up piece of ribbon. The next step is to connect the two ends of the ribbon together to make a circle.
There we have our ribbon flower accent. knot the end of the thread and trim off the excess thread.



Then I like to add a brad or button to the middle of the ribbon accent.

Then I like to add the ribbon accent to a flower or chipboard.

This is just a quick and easy way to give your flowers a new look. I know we all have a large stash of flowers and ribbon...why not combine the two.

Enjoy....happy stitching. See you next week. :)Sesil